Friday, September 11, 2009

To homework, or not to homework?

Which of course begs the question - is it still called "homework" if you're "homeschooled"?

I have wrestled with the first question for awhile - wondering what was the right way to go, but recently, seeing a regression in the boys attitudes towards doing what is expected of them, I thought there could be some valuable lessons to be learned that went beyond what the actual "work" was. And so, yesterday, at the end of the school day, I handed a coloring sheet to both boys and demanded their attention before explaining. I told them this sheet was their HOMEWORK. It needed to be done whenever they wished, as long as it was handed in this morning. Skip's first question was "What happens if I do?" I told him that while I couldn't tell him what the benefit would be, but he needed to 1) be obedient, and 2) trust that his efforts would be rewarded. Of course I got solemn nods, and "okays" from both as they hurried up the stairs to lunch, and well, freedom.

When I went up about 15 minutes later, one paper was on the kitchen counter, the other, the table.  Mid-afternoon, both papers still sitting in the same place, I simply announced that I hoped they remembered to do THEIR homework as directed. Same token nod from both boys, this time a syncronized "We will"...

At dinner time I mentioned to Mike that they had homework for the first time, and that opened up a brief discussion on what they needed to do, and by when. We left it at that. When, at bedtime, both papers were still lying around the kitchen & dining rooms, I had little hope of either of them doing theirs.

This morning right before breakfast, Skip decided he had better color his - and did so, finishing literally seconds before school was to start. Seeing Skip color his, Harry made an attempt at locating his now lost paper, but gave up rather quickly. He did find it again - by accident - while taking out the recycling, but since he didn't even get his  chores done on time this morning, by that time, it was too late to even think about coloring it.

And so..............

(Stay tuned for my weekly update to see what happened)

1 comments:

Lisa said...

Oooh... great read. I've been wondering about this myself.
Hopefully I'll get around to updating blogs tonight and you can read about it then. =)

Post a Comment